Haiku Deck Rock Star Series: Crafting the Perfect Pitch
More than two years ago, soon after we launched, this ingeniously simple and informative Haiku Deck caught my attention. “Startup Pitch Template” was created by Jeremy Caplan, Director of Education for the Tow-Knight Center for Entrepreneurial Journalism and an accomplished journalist himself.
Startup Pitch Template has proven to be one of the most enduringly popular Haiku Decks of all time, continuing to draw significant organic traffic, thousands of views, and dozens of social shares each month, more than 2 years after its creation.
When you consider that in the context of Haiku Deck’s origin — a radical pivot, inspired by the pain of putting together a pitch deck for a completely different business idea — it’s pretty clear that people are looking for a better way to pitch their business ideas.
Our co-founder and CEO Adam shared this backstory, and his best tips for a killer pitch, in this entertaining Haiku Deck:
Secrets Of A Killer Pitch #sicpitch #sic2013 – Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires
If your agenda is to promote or pitch, Haiku Deck is your secret weapon — especially with recent release of new features like logo slides and custom color backgrounds.
“If your agenda is to promote or pitch, Haiku Deck is your secret weapon.”
When I relaunched my consulting business recently, I didn’t have time to create a website or even business cards, but I definitely had time to make a Haiku Deck! It was a fun, flexible way to experiment with messaging and imagery. (Compare that to the expense of creating videos, which can be expensive and nearly impossible to update.)
Vitamin C Creative Overview – Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires
Rock Star Tips for Promoting Your Business
- Use the new logo slide type to highlight your brand visually, with plenty of space for contact information.
- Use a paragraph slide to share a mini-manifesto highlighting what you believe and why, or to summarize your offering. Danielle Oteri does this beautifully in her Haiku Deck created to promote the Feast On Innovation (which sounds AMAZING, by the way).
- Select images that feature or complement your brand colors. You can add a color name or descriptor to any image search (for example, “colorful origami” or “yellow citrus”). More tips on finding just the right image here.
- Use solid-color backgrounds to introduce sections. You can custom-match them to your brand or company colors.
- You can expand your reach by optimizing for keywords, embedding in your blog or website, and, of course, sharing frequently across your social networks. Don’t forget to upload to SlideShare!
- Get even more inspiration and ideas from these 5 outstanding pitch decks.
We’d love to see your killer pitches and promotional Haiku Decks! Please share links in the comments, or tweet them with the hashtag #hdgallery.
More in the Rock Star Series