One of the most frequent questions we receive is how to add videos to your Haiku Decks.
Subscribers to Haiku Deck Pro can now search for and add YouTube videos directly into presentations using our web, iPad, and iPhone apps.
If you’re not a paid Haiku Deck subscriber, here are a few work-arounds.
Adding Videos: Export Method
This method is best when you’re giving a live presentation and you want a true embedded video that you can play right from your deck. The downside is that you’ll end up with a big file that won’t be as easy to post and share with your social networks.
1. Create your slides and leave a placeholder slide for your video. You can import a still from your video as described below in the Notes Method, or you might try a solid-color background or an interesting abstract pattern, like this one:
2. Publish your deck with the SHARE button, then export a PowerPoint file from the Share menu. Once you export, you won’t be able to edit any of the text or images you added in Haiku Deck, so make sure your deck is exactly how you want it. Read more about exporting to PowerPoint and Keynote here.
3. Open the .pptx file in PowerPoint or Keynote, then insert your video.
Linking to Videos: Notes Method
This method is a great way to make video content available to your audience while keeping the flexibility and portability that’s built into Haiku Deck. If you’re using the Haiku Deck Web App or creating a Haiku Deck to share online, this is the way to go.
1. Capture a still from your video to use as your slide image.
2. Create your Haiku Deck, and import the image you captured as the background for the slide that will link to your video.
3. Use the Public Notes feature to add a link to the video. Be sure to include http:// at the beginning of the link. If the URL is long, you can use a link shortener like bit.ly to keep your Notes looking neat.
If you’re looking to make a video out of your Haiku Deck, you can follow the steps in this article.
We’d love to hear your tips or strategies for incorporating videos! Just leave us a note in the comments.