One of the most frequent questions we receive is how to add videos to your Haiku Decks. We’re working on adding the ability to embed videos directly, but until we can make that experience appropriately simple, beautiful, and fun, here are a couple of workarounds to try.
Adding Videos: Export Method
This method is best when you’re giving a live presentation and you want a true embedded video that you can play right from your deck. The downside is that you’ll end up with a big file that won’t be as easy to post and share with your social networks.
1. Create your Haiku Deck and leave a placeholder slide for your video. You can import a still from your video as described below in the Notes Method, or you might try a solid-color background or an interesting abstract pattern, like this one:
2. Tap Share, then Export to generate a .pptx file. Once you export, you won’t be able to edit any of the text or images you added in Haiku Deck, so make sure your deck is exactly how you want it.
3. Open the .pptx file in PowerPoint or Keynote, then insert your video.
Linking to Videos: Notes Method
This method is a great way to make video content available to your audience while keeping the flexibility and portability that’s built into Haiku Deck. If you’re creating a Haiku Deck to share online, this is the way to go.
1. Capture a still from your video and save it to your iPad’s camera roll.
2. Create your Haiku Deck, and use the image you captured as the background for the slide that will eventually link to your video.
4. Click through to your video slide, and add a link to the video using the Notes feature. Be sure to include http:// at the beginning of the link. If the URL is long, you can use a link shortener like bit.ly to keep the Notes looking neat.
We’d love to hear your tips or strategies for incorporating videos! Just leave us a note in the comments.